The Fiasco

So I've kept you all in the dark the past few weeks and I sort of meant to. It seemed every time we opened our mouths to say something positive about the moving process, any and everything seemed to go down the toilet. I think we both felt a bit jinxed even though we don't really believe in the jinx. Dare I fill you in? We've not closed yet, but I think we've jumped such a major hurdle that I'll at least share the details of everything up until yesterday to quench your thirst for the thrills of my life.

After we finally got our current house under control with the buyers (they suck, btw), and were under contract on our new house we sort of sighed some relief. I did anyway, Seth still had worries of the appraisal on our new house. I felt confident it would appraise just fine. After all, its in historic Apex just a stone's throw from 4 homes built in just the last couple of years. They mostly sold for at or more than what we bought our house for so we were safe, right? WRONG.

We found out last Thursday that the appraiser appraise the new house at $275,000. $25k UNDER what it was listed for and what we offered. We were SHOCKED. And PISSED. And I was heart broken. No way was the seller going to go that low on a home she had appraised a few years back at $295k. Here we go again. Luckily, this time we had time on our side. The sellers really wanted us in their house and they were willing to wait it out. Our lender put in a dispute, but we had to wait 48 hours to get a response - which meant Monday. Yet another long, torturous wait through a weekend to hear back what we expected to be more bad news.

The weekend sucked. We were supposed to move into the house on Saturday but instead spent the day moving into a storage unit. I was grumpy, and easily annoyed and didn't really want to talk to anyone. I just wanted the stuff out of the house without having to be the cruise director. Just pile it in there and leave me alone was pretty much the way I was feeling. We got it all done only keeping a few things in our current house. We felt we could move the rest ourselves after we found out the fate of our new house.

Finally, Monday came. Dun dun duuuuun. What a crappy day. I was expecting the worst, but just didn't know when the news would come. FINALLY, around 3pm Seth IMs me that he's talking to our lender and has news on the appraisal. I ask, "Bad news?" and he simply types, "new appraisal amount: $300,000" and at that point I fell out of my chair. Not really, but my heart did. I typed, "ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?!?!?!" and I ran to the back of my office and shared the good news with some of my co-workers who had been so worried and supportive.

Talk about a miracle. Just like that the appraisal came up $25 grand and we've got the green light to go through with the purchase of the house. The appraiser of our current house wasn't willing to take a second look at her appraisal so we just assumed all of them were a-holes and wouldn't redo our new house. Turns out, not only did we think he was insane, but Wells Fargo thought so as well. They used the comps we sent them and got the appraisal up to the right price point.

We moved a few odds and ends over last night and it felt good to finally walk in the house with a bit more sense of ownership. While we still are a little gun-shy about this working out, I am feeling more confident and hopefully come mid-May we'll close on this home and NEVER MOVE AGAIN!

I'm still not revealing all the pics to you just in case, but I'll leave you with this...


Under Contract

This, my friends, is the front door of the home of which we're under contract to purchase. This is also my dream home. The home with the details, character, and charm that I never thought I'd find at a good price.
I will show you the rest of the house when we sign our *new* contract with our buyers. *New* does not necessarily mean GREAT! SHINY! IMPROVED! In fact, it means the polar opposite. But let's not dwell on the gory details of which we just lived through. I'll keep you kids in the dark - it's not a pretty sight.

After all has been said and done, it seems we're still going to be able to go through with the purchase of this home. Had you asked me this time yesterday or even 10:00pm last night, I may have seemed doubtful. In the end, we gave away our lives and last shred of dignity to the 2 seemingly greediest buyers in the world. Again, I'm going to spare you the details. One, I don't want to type it out and get all mad again, and two, it's just really pathetic.

More updates to come. Hold on to your hats for more pics of the house. You all are going to want to come live with us. This house is that great.


Rolla costaaaa....of houuuuse

So this house hunting thing. It can suck big time. And it has. GAH.

Friday, Seth and I had the day off so we hoofed it on over to Edna's office to write up an offer on one of the homes we had seen recently. It's a home that does not exist yet so we included our wishes for what the house would contain. Their offer to purchase and contract was "severely deficient" in the words of Miss Edna so it took us quite a while to figure out a way to clearly, legally, and effectively convey our wants for this home. We submitted the offer late Friday and figured we wouldn't hear back until Monday of this week because of Easter.

Well, it seems we were right. FIRST THING Monday we get an email from the builder basically giving us nothing. No help, no discount, no nothing. What an A$$. We had been fed a bunch of crap from the on-site agent and based several of our decisions on said crap-ola. They were only willing to give us $5000 for a corner lot premium which is (you guessed it) CRAP. We specifically chose a particular lot because it was on an end, but not an official corner lot, which can carry premiums of $5000, $20,000, or even $25,000. We were told that the lots with buffers on the ends weren't actually corner lots. So they could take their $5000 and shove it...HARD.

Completely out of character for me, I quickly decided along with Seth that we weren't willing to bend one iota. They obviously would rather wait and hike up prices than actually get a buyer in their homes. NO ONE has built or bought out there yet and here we are offering to be the first. You know, GIVE THEM BUSINESS AND MONEY AND SUCH. But they were like NAH, we need nothing. We're just pretending to be businessmen, but really WE SUCK.

So anyway, I'm moving on. I don't need to work with a builder who has counted his eggs before they've hatched. Someone's got a big head and hopefully we'll be in a nicer, better located, better fitting home for us when that big head pops and bleeds all over central Apex.

On a happier note, our buyers are moving along just swimmingly. Their house has been inspected, their buyers are moving along with their loan so all is looking good from our selling point of view. We mistakenly thought they were inspecting our house a few weeks back, but that was actually the date of the inspection of THEIR home, so we've rescheduled their inspection of our house for this Friday. Hopefully all goes well. After it's done, the appraisal will be ordered and getting through that will be a major hurdle in moving forward.