Last night, I painted the first coat of the first color of the stripes. I started with the lighter color first and I'm glad I did. It ended up being the set of stripes that overlapped with weird spots (like at the top of the ceiling) and was easier to fudge a straight line while cutting in.
I managed only one coat last night. The existing paint is flat paint and thus sort of hard to paint over. It has so much grab and doesn't help the paint go on smoothly. I refused to prime this time to save myself a step so I'm just taking it slow and one step at a time so I don't burn myself out on this project.
The first coat went well and I hope to have the energy to start the second coat tonight. Here's my progress after part 1 of probably 5 or so. (Excuse the bad pic - taken with iPhone at 9:30pm post-painting and tired. Not so steady with the camera, folks.)