Board & Batten Wainscoting Project: Part Three

Well, folks. Sorry to have left you hanging on this wainscoting project. The truth is that we've not really done much to it except finish putting it up on the wall. We stalled out after that and haven't started the caulk/prime/paint process yet!

My weekend have been jam-packed and we've been spending a lot of time helping my uncle get his house ready to move in to. He bought a house and proceeded to rip it to shreds and give it a much-needed facelift so we've been painting and helping out there for the last several weekends.

However, I'll through you a little bone and show you how the project ended. Stay tuned, too, I've got a second post coming up about a tiny, unrelated project that brought me great joy!

When I last left you, we had basically done one wall. The following weekend, we tackled the wall under the windows and the wall opposite the one we'd already completed. Knowing now how best to handle the steps, it went much faster - even at Home Depot, we knew what to do, where to go, and how to tell the cutter to cut. It was lickety split!

First, we made a huge mess (and probably fire hazard) in our hallway and cleared out the bedroom (mostly).

Then, we started with the wall under the windows. Daredevils that we are, we brought the saw up to our bedroom and set it up on a towel on top of a bedside table in the corner. We custom cut all the pieces under the window and didn't want to have to go all the way downstairs and out into the gargage for each cut. We made a minimal amount of mess - nothing that the vaccuum didn't fix!

Again, the process went fast since we had nailed down (pun intended) our process with the previous wall. So here we are:

When we got to the last slat, we fudged the placement to mirror the placement at the opposite end of the well. We kind of centered the two tall slats that go on this wall to keep everything looking balanced:

Overall, we had to do this a few times to miss outlets and things like that. If you take a ruler to it you can tell, but visually, you really can't and I did not get hung up on perfect placement. I know you can be a perfectionist about it, but houses and walls aren't perfect, so we went with that theme.

Next, we finished up the last wall. We should've paid more attention to the slats because somewhere in the cutting process at Home Depot, some of them were nearly a half inch shorter than they were supposed to be. You can see it in this picture.

Little wavy there! Luckily for us, our technique of attaching the top rail allowed us (barely!) to cover this mistake. WHEW. So on they went, the top rails mean we're almost done! Again, because nothing's perfect - including wood - we ended up with this where the top rails met. One was a little warped so we used leftover slats as shims and resolved the issue pretty quickly. We just applied some construction adhesive to both sides and slid it in there and nailed it in place.

Our last hurdle before installing the top trim piece to hide that gap was to come to a finishing point. Our master bedroom is not a nice, neat rectangle. I don't have a photo of it, but there's a tiny "hallway" that leads to our closet and master bath. We chose to end the wainscoting not a doorway, but at a corner. Because the top rails create a gap behind them, I needed a way to make it disappear. Again, we went with the shims. We cut one to the exact width of the top rail and glued it on.

We let it dry and then installed it. With a little woodfiller, when we go to paint this area should be seamless and appear that the top rail is full thickness all the way to the wall.

That's where we are, folks! I hope in the next month or so we can get back to finishing this project up! I have all new bedding and pillows and everything that I'm dying to add once the painting is done!